Sunday, 7 July 2013

Bittersweet

Yesterday was the 8th anniversary of the date Dave and I met. It was also the 1 year anniversary of Adi's operation to remove her tumour. At the time, the hospital's chaplain told us not to read too much into it, that coincidences like that happen more often than you think. Good advice...but still you wonder.

Yesterday we also went to visit a friends house. Adi had a lovely time but I spent the afternoon keeping a very good and understanding friend at arm's length because she had developed a cold overnight and I was worried it might affect Adi's chances of being well enough for her last dose of chemo tomorrow.

Today we enjoyed the hot weather and Adi had a great time in the paddling pool - every minute she did so I was chewing my nails and nagging poor Asher not to splash in case Adi's wiggly lines got wet. Poor kid, he's only 5 - he should be splashing.

We also went to a lovely party today and Adi had the best time ever. We were chatting to another parent who's child has leukemia. They are lovely and, thankfully, their little girl has a curable leukemia. Of course, I was fretting about Adi being in the sun too much.

I don't mean to be killjoy. Really I don't. Adi's had a great weekend - seeing friends, enjoying parties, playing non-stop.  I can generally tell when her bloods are up or down. Recently she's unbearably clingy to me and not wanting to see anyone but this weekend she's clearly been feeling better, even asking tonight to see her friends! Today we found out that her neutrophils have made a shock recovery, from 0.8 on Friday to 2 today! This means that she can have her treatment tomorrow. Her last dose of carboplatin! After this it is just two more doses of vincristine at our local hospital and that is the treatment completed. Hopefully, in a few weeks time I will be able to stop glaring at strangers who dare to sneeze in the street, asking our friends to stay away and allow Adi and Asher to leap, splash and swim in every pool from here to Timbuktu!

No comments:

Post a Comment